First there was The Lemon No. 5, the skinniest and easiest lemonade ever. Now there’s The Avocado No. 5, the skinniest and easiest breakfast ever. You’re welcome in advance.
Growing up, my parents always prepared a solid breakfast every morning with eggs, toast, fresh fruit, the works and I have continued to do so for myself while living on my own. Breakfast has always been a super important part of my day. If I don’t have something to eat within 30 minutes of waking up, it’s not going to be pretty.
I’ve tried doing the whole smoothie-for-breakfast situation and I would continually go to the office and be STARVING after an hour. Having a fruit smoothie as a meal replacement was just NOT cutting it. Now that I am a pescetarian, eggs are one of my main sources of protein, but I tend to crave them for dinner now. That means I have been forced to get creative in the morning.
I recently read about the avocado pudding that Kourtney Kardashian eats on the reg and I decided to put a little twist on it to make it a low-cal protein smoothie. I was experimenting to see if this was something that could replace my eggs in the morning, and it has definitely been a success.
Here’s a rough breakdown of the numbers:
TOTAL CALORIES: 308
- Total (GOOD) Fat: 17g
- Total Carbs: 26g
- Total Protein: 30g
**My diet plan is high protein with moderate carbs and fats. I am easily able to fit this into my daily routine with no issues meal-planning the rest of the day.**
You will need:
- ½ avocado
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (I use this brand. It is a bit grainy, so if you’re a texture person I would opt for a different brand. I personally love it because it doesn’t taste artificial.)
- ½ cup unsweetened organic coconut milk (This one is my favorite!)
- 1 cup chilled water
- 1 tsp or to taste organic raw honey
How to make The Avocado No.5:
- Throw in ALL ingredients (avocado, protein, coconut milk, water, honey) in your blender.
- Blend it all up.
- Pour into your favorite glass/mason jar/to-go cup/whatever (this one from Target is my favorite because it’s BPA free and dishwasher safe).
- Become just as obsessed as you are with The Lemon No. 5.
What are some of your favorite smoothie recipes? I would LOVE to add some to my breakfast arsenal!
Photography by Rebecca Rollolazo and Bradford Pasquali.