One of the first signs of aging starts with backs of your hands. Yeah, I was shocked about this at first, too. But when you think about it, it really makes logical sense. We use our hands all day every day so they get a lot of wear & tear, especially from the sun.
There’s so much focus to take care of the face for age prevention that the hands are easily forgotten about. When you’re sitting in traffic during your 5 o’clock commute home, you’re most likely getting direct sun exposure on your hands, even if it’s only for 30 minutes. Taking a brief lunch break outside? You’re getting direct sun exposure on your hands, too. Skipping the sunscreen because it’s overcast outside? Don’t. You are STILL getting exposed to the sun’s rays.
Like a lot of people, I have made sure to use an SPF in my daily face routine for several years. But I’ll be honest – it wasn’t until about a year and a half ago that I actually put forth some effort to take care of my hands specifically. I’m trying to keep my skin overall FLAW-LESS for as long as possible sans botox, so I am a sunscreen addict these days. Before I share my newest beauty SPF favorite, here are some sunscreen tips!
SPF Cliffs Notes via Supergoop and Mayo Clinic
- UVB rays are the pesky ones that cause you to get a sunburn, while UVA rays are the ones that cause all the icky wrinkling and the sun-spotting. Protect yourself from both by always using a broad-spectrum or full-spectrum sunscreen.
- IRA (Infrared radiation) comes from anything producing heat. For example, the nail lamps at the salon. The sun is also a source of nasty IRA. Antioxidants are the only protection against IRA.
- The way you apply your sunscreen is more effective than a higher SPF itself. Make sure you apply it fairly thick and even so it can weather through sweat and water.
- Pay attention to the expiration date – this matters.
- Let the sunscreen soak into your skin about 15 minutes before sun exposure.
- UV rays still penetrate through the clouds, so still be cautious on a dreary day.
For a while now, I have been on the hunt to find a good daily hand cream with SPF. Much harder than you would think! I tried out several light facial sunscreens like this one I love because they tend to be more gentle and not so heavy. I do love that one for my face, but that one and no others were quite right for my hands. They all felt like I was wearing sunscreen on my hands with no real moisturizing power.
Then a few weeks ago, I found it. I finally found an actual hand cream with SPF. And it is everything I hoped it would be. Supergoop’s Forever Young Hand Cream is my new holy grail skin product.
I spotted the mini version of this item in one of my favorite places of all time – the Sephora checkout line. Remember my post on face masks? I found #6 on the list in the Sephora check out line, too. It is always chock full of little minis to try out for a much smaller price tag.
Anyways – Supergoop. It’s SPF 40 which is pretty much ideal. Also, it’s made with sea buckthorn fruit which is rich in omega -7 fatty acids for mega hydration. This fruit also improves skin elasticity to help fight wrinkles and works to fix hyperpigmentation. I love the way it feels on my skin. It’s light and moisturizing, but doesn’t make you feel like a greaseball. Not to mention the smell is so good. It’s perfect for the office because the scent isn’t overpowering at all. 11 stars out of 10.
You can order the Supergoop Forever Young Hand Cream online here OR head to your closest Sephora checkout line. I promise you are going to want to try this stuff out.
Photography by Rebecca Rollolazo.